Thursday, May 13, 2004

This Town Ain't Big Enough for the Both of Us

Los Angeles is funny... it's massive sprawl of strip malls, cars and mediocre housing - but you can still step right on top of that guy you were sleeping with not so long ago...

Case in point: I went to a local bar where a dear friend of mine was throwing her farewell party, as she hightailed it back to San Francisco after a couple years here in La La Land. In attendance was the last heartbreaker of my life, who has since ruined me for other men. (Kidding!) Anyway, we were chatting and getting a drink from the bar. I turned to head back into the main room, when who should I run into... my most recent boy toy (actually, my only boy toy) who ended things in an impulsive huff a few months back. He looked at me, I looked at him (dreamy ex still in the background), he said, "Uh, uh... oh..." I sort of laughed. He said, "How are you?" I said, "Fine... Happy birthday." (Oh, did I mention it was his birthday, and he owns the bar? Well, I didn't ask my friend to have her party there!) He graciously responded, "Well, thank you very much!" and I stepped back into the other room.

Civility rules.

I got a couple inquisitive looks from the ex/ good friends over the exchange, but all was fine. My ass wasn't getting tossed out onto the sidewalk, and we continued the festivities till the wee hours.

Funny that I've only been involved with two guys since living in LA, and there they both were on either side of me in the same moment in this gimangous city.

I've always been able to stay friends with my exes (yes, I hear that's kinda strange) but maybe you can't stay friends with boy toys. He's a very entertaining guy, but hey - he's got his reasons and I respect that.

I've just gotta watch where I go for a drink these days!

(Names and location details have been spared to protect the not-so-innocent, but my friends know who I'm talking about...)