Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Frodo Radio

When I worked at Amoeba Music in Hollywood, I saw and got to chat up all sorts of kinda famous types. Some of my co-workers were, as most are, "record store guys" who had been at one shop or another all of their retail lives. For those who worked at stores all around LA, they struck up friendships with some of these celebs.

A regular shopper at Amoeba was Elijah Wood (some of you may know him as the lead hobbit in that movie about a ring or something). He was pretty tight with my pal Ben, so he'd come by and goof around with Ben. Seems Elijah is a regular music dork, crazy into indie rock and electronica, and is one of those guys who wears thermal pajama tops with flowers on it and jeans and cute sneakers with a fauxhawk (probably cuz he doesn't brush his hair) that you could just run into at a coffee shop in the hipster part of town. He knew so many little tidbits about everything that when my co-worker went on a smoke break, I had him sit at the Information counter with me and dish out facts to unsuspecting customers. He had a blast. (And we bonded over this really beautiful movie called Afterlife which I don't think anyone but me, him, and the boyfriend I saw it with have seen.)

I've seen him on TV lately talking about a record label he's going to start up, but I don't think he's done it yet. What he has done, though, is conquered British radio. He's going to fill in for the legendary John Peel when Peel takes a vacation. Think he'll geek out in a British accent?