Sunday, June 12, 2005

The Mystery Ingredient

This one's for Rachael.

She forwarded me a link about "food." I put the word "food" in quotations because, well, it is questionable that the items described at this site are actually "food." See, even the creators of the recipes subscribe to the "quotation" rule. For example, the following:

Of course, the use of quotations is extremely important here because enchiladas have nothing to do with toast, the cornerstone to this particular recipe. Hence, "enchilada."

(This sort of reminds me of the time my brother's friend decided to try to make pad thai by mixing spaghetti, peanut butter, fish oil and dried jalepeno peppers. Didn't work.)

This website contains a very amusing collection of Weight Watchers recipe cards from 1974. Check it out; they weren't afraid of carbs...

And, the perfect companion piece to these recipes would be the tale of a fellow who ate mysterious items actually sold in the store. Items like potted meat, natto, and cuitlacoche.

Steve, don't eat it! Oh, but Steve did, Steve did... (Thanks to Scotty for that one!)

Feeling icky inside yet? Just doing my part to help keep my friends on their diets. Bon appetit!