Thursday, June 02, 2005

Let's Get Physical

You know how I write about my friend Dax from time to time, that awesome guy in a horrible car wreck which he is currently recovering from? Well, this guy has made me want to live. Seriously. He is so positive and upbeat and just goddamn in-spir-A-tion-al!

The reason I tell you this kind of relates to an experience my brother-in-law had. He died once. Motorcycle accident practically tore his entire left arm off between the elbow and the wrist, and then on the table, he died. While dead, he felt he was in a black hole being pulled from two sides (note there was no white light). In the living world, he had been dead long enough to get covered with a sheet and rolled into the hallway, where his dad was standing when my brother-in-law suddenly bolted upright screaming. His father yelled, "Re-attatch that arm!" They did. They told him he would never have use of his hand, and would probably have limited feeling in his arm.

Cut to 10 years later and he's fully functional.

When I told him about Dax's accident (I ran into my brother-in-law in Hollywood where he was tripping on mescaline), I had only found out about it the day before. He said, "Don't believe the doctors, they'll just tell you the worst. The body can restore itself in ways you'd never think of." Then I think he looked around the room of the bar we were in and went, "Whoa, cool" or something.

Anyway, here's a little flick he and some friends made to be shown at benefits (although I think this one is for The Eagle Tavern in SF - a place that was known as a hang out for hairy men in chaps but has expanded to having indie rock shows for the kids AND the hairy men in chaps). Dax's recovery is incredible, given that the doctors thought it would be lucky if he were able to turn his own head.

"The body can restore itself in ways you'd never think of." Mescaline wisdom - rockin'!