Monday, May 23, 2005

Fuzzy Wuzzy Was A Bear

I bet you think I'm going to write this about my hairy gay friends, don't you? Ha ha! No - not today. But later this week, I promise.

This post is about the glorious advent of summer, which pretty much arrived here in LA the weekend before last. I am sporting a fabulous tan, courtesy of a friend's nearby pool and his tolerance of me constantly crashing it. We are two people with natural pigment, so we don't burn either. Yes, hate us. I've had maybe a patch of sunburn in a spot here or there a few times in my life (but I ALWAYS wear sunblock!).

Just a couple weeks ago, it was still raining here. In fact, I know that LA is about an inch away from having the heaviest rainy season EVER on record, and I'd love for us to beat that first record set about a hundred years ago. But you know what? I like the sunshine better. So when the rain went away and the temperatures jumped from 60 to 80, I was ready. And so was my pool towel.

This past weekend, in fact, was sweltering. Still nothing compared to the summer we have coming, but enough to make bears get into the neighbors' pools over in the valley. Really!

Okay, maybe it wasn't this bear, but a bear did do it! Check it:
Bear Takes Dip in Suburban L.A. Pool
Mon May 23, 4:36 PM ET

LOS ANGELES - A 140-pound bear wandered into a suburban neighborhood and took a dip in a swimming pool before being tranquilized and returned to the wild.

The female bear ambled into the San Fernando Valley's Porter Ranch area shortly after 6 p.m. Sunday, bumping into doors and windows before taking a few splashes in a backyard pool, fire spokesman Brian Humphrey said.

"It looks like it's possibly in heat," Wood said. "She probably just made a wrong turn and ended up in a neighborhood. She belongs up in the hills and that's where she lives."


Yea, I bet she was in heat. We all were. The pool is for everybody, man!!