Thursday, February 10, 2005

Shoot That Poison Arrow

When the postman don’t call on Valentine’s Day
And Santa Claus don’t come on a Christmas Day
That umbrella won’t work on a rainy day
Don’t ask me, I already know!
- ABC

It was pointed out to me that Valentine's day is Monday. I used to work in a card and candy shop; I think Valentine's Day is dumb. I thought that before I worked there, though. My boyfriends are lucky - I expect nothing on that day. The rest of the year, however...

With your heart on parade and your heart on parole
I hope you find a sucker to buy that mink stole
School for scandal,
Guess who’s enrolled?
So ask me, I already know!


When I was growing up, I got a present from my Dad every year on Valentine's day. Usually a little box of candy and a little Valentine themed toy... A tiny stuffed horse, one of those bitty clingy koala things, stuff like that. It would be sitting on my nightstand when I would wake up that morning. That stuff ended when I hit high school and probably was freaking my Dad out by doing things like having a boyfriend and growing boobs. Poor guy. But I always thought, and still think, that it was really, really sweet.

Other than that, Valentine's day is dumb.

So if you really love your partner, tell them all the time. Or get them this:


Word.