Monday, April 19, 2004

We Love The Rock

There's been a lot of rockin' & rollin' in LA recently.

Last week, I went to not one... but TWO Twilight Singers shows. Greg Dulli is about as Super Rock as one gets these days. "Even if you don't think you're all that, you gotta make people think you're all that, and they won't fuck with ya. Of course, I AM all that." Yes, Greg's ego was definitely in attendance. Very fun shows; that boy always makes me laugh.

50 Foot Wave - Kristin Hersh (Throwing Muses) practically spitting blood. This new band of hers has more in common with Metallica than REM. I love to see chicks rock with authority. Especially while wearing a pajama top covered in brightly colored racecars.

So what's coming up?

Well, for all you stoner rockers, Queens of the Stone Age is releasing a very limited edition compilation of some sort which will only be carried at select stores. Like all Towers and Virgin Megastores. But also the fabulous Lou's Records, located in my hometown of Encinitas, California. Lou's rules. Anyway, if you love the Queens, buy this tomorrow because they'll be gone buy lunchtime.

And for you indie rockers, Actionslacks finally releases Full Upright Position (after a 3+ year wait) on the Self Starter Foundation label. It's chock full of rock guitar goodness as well as lovely mushiness; I guess that's what happens when guys in indie bands get married! Like a cross between Sebadoh and Wilco with a little Gary Newman thrown in. Worth the price of admission alone for the epic and beautiful "Close to Tears," although the jaunty "Simple Life" and sweet jangle of "Moneypenny's Theme" are pretty awesome too. And I'm thanked in the liner notes.

And if you're in LA, check out Tim Scanlin, the fearless leader of the 'slacks, at the Hotel Cafe in Hollywood on Tuesday night. It's early, and I'm glad cuz I need more sleep...

PS: I happily scored tix to see the Pixies in my other hometown, Berkeley, in September. Vamos!