Thursday, April 15, 2004

Top of the Pops

At my lovely (most insanely boring on the planet) job, I get to do something I really like: go through the Billboard charts. Doesn't that sound great?

Well, actually, it really is for me. When I was a kid, I'd listen to Casey Kasem's Top 40 countdown every week. My Dad & I would head off to church (I went to Catholic school and sang in the choir since I liked that better than actually paying attention to the Mass) and I'd make him listen to the countdown on the way there and back, and I'd tune in the second we got home. I don't know why, but I thought those chart movements were pretty dishy.

I work in music publishing now, and get the honored task of going through the charts and extrapolating our writers from them so that everyone at the company can see how well we're doing. I love to see indie bands - no matter how much buzz they may have - cracking the esteemed Billboard 200 charts. The Yeah Yeah Yeahs alongside Justin Timberlake, the Postal Service and Franz Ferdinand sandwiching the likes of Avril Lavigne... But today - what do I see? The new Modest Mouse CD DEBUTED at number 19! Wha'? That's crazy! So I had to check the numbers...

Good News For People Who Love Bad News debuted on the Billboard Top 200 at number 19, having sold 68, 778 CDs. That's insane. But in a good way.

Did all the indie kids save their allowance for this one or do more people have good taste?