Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Idol Chatter

I'm not a fan of "American Idol." I never watch it... Well, I saw the finale of the first season because my roommate was hooked, but it was just so Up With People (if you don't know what "Up With People" is, you're better off, trust me) that I was eternally grossed out by it. Later, my clever younger brother pointed out to me that the time to watch "American Idol" is at the beginning of the competition, when all the sorry ass hopefuls who have only ever sung along to their boombox karaoke machines at home are still in the running. Yes. That would be entertaining.

Evidently, there has been some controversy of late because a very talented young woman was voted off. Recent guest judge, Elton John, actually came out and said that the voters were racist. Host Ryan Seacrest made a plea to the viewers that the show was supposed to be a talent contest, not a popularity contest.

Ummmm... there is some truth to what they say: America is still a racist country in many respects, and when has any contest not been about popularity? But really... The United States is not a place known for its culture - unless culture for you consists of McDonald's french fries - excuse me - freedom fries, Nikes and Britney Spears. Did you know that Britney Spears is currently Hugh Hefner's ideal woman? And I bet it's because she's such an amazing singer!

I'm not completely bagging the States - I'm a Californian through and through and have loved each city I've lived in here (which a lot of Cali kids can't say, actually). There are some wonderful things about this country: the beaches I grew up with, rock and roll, New York City, movies, the right to vote the Bay Bridges, jazz, New Orleans, legalized abortion, country music, and most of all - what has grown from the mix of so many different people.

So I'm always a little shocked when I'm confronted by someone who looks at me - something that has grown from the mix of so many different people (I've got one grandmother from Egypt and the other is a Daughter of the American Revolution - and that's just for starters) - and treats me like I'm an idiot based on my olive skin. I'm always a little shocked to be reminded that there are people who would throw me out of their house if I spoke out against George W.

But I'm not shocked at all that there are people who would vote off really talented singers from a prime time talent show if someone else had better boobs or something. I mean, that William Hung kid just released his debut (and let's hope only) CD and it entered the Billboard 200 charts at #34. The next week it only dropped one notch. That's crazy! That equaled a drop in sales of like, 5%! I understand it's a novelty, and I also trust that my fellow Berkeley Alum William is going to use the money wisely so he won't have to really utilize that engineering degree he's picking up, but really... don't chastise the audience for "American Idol." They're probably doing their best.

After all, quality is not what Americans are known for. We're known for being the fat, drunk ones yelling to our friends while spilling ketchup onto an ancient ruin. Mmmmm... ketchup... somebody get me a beer!