Thursday, April 29, 2004

Stealing Beauty

Somebody stole all my dinner plates.

The only reason I'm even writing about this is because I'm hoping that by putting it out there in public, I'll go home and find two wine boxes tucked away in some corner I haven't already looked in and I'll feel like a dummy. But a dummy with dinner plates.

I shouldn't say they are all gone because I actually have two. The two out of four that I bought at Target in 1991. The other two are gone. The set of 4 my mom gave me are gone. The beautiful hand painted set (which made me salivate at the sight of them) from Brazil that my friends and former co-workers gave me before I moved to LA are totally gone. And the ones I collected over the course of 10 years, working at KALX Berkeley, which were especially made to commemorate the station (a different design every year) by Bay Area artist Sherry Olsen (and she even made one especially for me) are waaaaaaay gone.

They actually got stolen a couple months ago, and I'm only realizing it now. My roommate and I were lax about locking our garage and somebody broke in. So I was kinda asking for it. But when I found out, it appeared that the thief in question had just thrown our spare clothes around and walked out with my space heater. Now that my roommmate and her dinner plates are moving out, I had to collect mine from the garage, and they were nowhere to be found.

I know they were just things... but I LIKE my things. It's always like that when something gets stolen though... You know the jackass that took your wallet grabbed the cash and the cards, and then just chucked your goofy picture of your brother or note from your girlfriend that you had in there for sentimental reasons. Even my old roommate was bummed to hear about the KALX plates - they were THAT special.

So here's to you - asshole who thought those two boxes were actually Charles Shaw wine... I hope somebody steals your mom's engagement ring and breaks her heart over it. Then maybe you'll get it, if you even care about such things. Cuz you probably just sold my memories at a garage sale, punk.