Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

And now, I'm going to tell you how old I am.

This year, I've been invited to my 20th high school reunion. I wasn't actually invited to my 10th because "they" couldn't find me. "They" were obviously pretty stupid, because my father is a science teacher at the high school I went to, and HE STILL TEACHES THERE. Never mind. I found out about it, and I went.

The reason I went, really, was because of a girl named Tawny Schultz (and I'm sure I've spelled her name wrong). I saw her in a Weight Watchers commercial, and thought, "Tawny! She was so cool. I'd love to see her and find out what the hell she's been up to!" I have a small posse of good friends from high school to this day, and high school wasn't a bad experience for me, so I figured... what the hell. I told the posse about Tawny, and they reacted the same way I did. "Let's go see Tawny!"

We all went together, as we do. One member of the posse, Doug, is also my closest friend in the entire world, but was my boyfriend all through high school. Needless to say, when we walked in together, jaws dropped. Everyone assumed we had gotten married, but -ick! - no way! We had to clear that up real fast in case Doug wanted to hit on any divorcees in the room.

We had fun, but I felt like I had almost nothing in common with anyone in that room. I was working in radio and happily unmarried and living in the Bay Area. They were married, divorced, parents, 9-5. They thought I was really living the life, and I think I was. Am. But everyone was happy and slightly drunk (and very stoned later on... Hey, it's a San Diego beach town - that's what we do!) and it was, genuinely, quite nice to see everyone.

And we did see Tawny Schultz.

And now the 20th reunion is creeping up... And I'm going. I think. I'm trying to convince Doug to go because my Dad has said he would back us up on any lies we may want to tell this time. Like married with 7 kids and a house on each continent or something like that. My Dad works with some of my former classmates and sees the ones who stayed in town at the supermarket or the beach and stuff. That alone could make it a blast.

We'll see. The posse is mostly on board. And we look great for our age. That's what really counts, right?