Wednesday, September 14, 2005

California Dreamin'

Ah, is there hope for San Diego? Choices at last? A return to former glory? Thanks to a SD reader who is thankfully keeping me in the loop about these things while I drink too much beer in Berlin:

Also, this was reported in one of the radio trades yesterday. Just thought you might be interested.


FINEST BROADCASTING Alternative XTRA-F (91X)/SAN DIEGO went jockless on SATURDAY (9/10) rolling through their entire library in alphabetical order.

91X VP/Programming KEVIN STAPLEFORD confirms that MARCO COLLINS has been hired as MD. For COLLINS, it is a return to where he started his illustrious career. He most recently was MD at ENTERCOM Alternative KWOD/SACRAMENTO.

Concurrently, former ARIZONA LOTUS Alternative KFMA/Tucson APD/MD/afternooner STEPHEN KALLAO has signed on as Creative Director. KALLAO is overseeing the 91X re-imaging process. Both MARCO and KALLAO will also be on-air in yet-to-be-announced airshifts.

Meanwhile, current MD "SMILIN' MARTY" WHITNEY segues out of day-to-day operations, but will remain on-board for swing shifts and weekends.

STAPLEFORD said, "We're going to bring 91X back from the dead, and we needed people of MARCO and STEPHEN's caliber to be on board. These guys are incredibly talanted and well connected, giving 91X an instant surge. I look forward to collaborating with these two guys--and the rest of the 91X team--in making this station even better than people remember it being 'back in the day.' Just wait."

"I'm totally excited to be coming back to the station where I started my career," said COLLINS. "I think I'm most excited about working for an independent radio station free of the CLEAR CHANNEL stranglehold. I'm looking forward to creating some great radio with a unique twist."