Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Slip Sliding Away

I actually could not post for a bit because my home internet connection was down. I WAS CUT OFF FROM THE WORLD! Well, just last night. It was the rain, you see. It's been raining a lot in California lately, but I can only vouch for Los Angeles... where it rained so much I believe my neighbor was building an ark.

Californians are wussies when it comes to actual weather - I'll be the first to admit it. It starts to rain a little, and we drive 5 mph. The temperature drops below 55 degrees, and we're wearing wool trenchcoats and scarves.

But this has been pretty biblical. Ever since I returned from the East Coast, nearly two weeks ago, it has been raining. And not just annoying drizzle stuff... we're talking torrential thunderstorm action. The last four days here have been a non stop barrage of water, flooding just about everything in sight. I guess a house slipped off the hill a street over from me. The infamous Mulholland Drive partially fell into the canyon alongside it. (Rescue workers have been saying that if your address has the word "canyon" in it, you're in trouble.) Flash floods have swept away cars, mudslides have buried homeless encampments, houses have slipped off their foundations.

But we'll survive. We're mostly just wet, after all. I'm gonna have to move my extra books and clothes out of our garage because water is seeping through the cement walls, but that's about it.

And now, to get all politcal on you: Anybody in Cali complaining about this weather better shut up and donate to a tsunami relief fund. We've got it pretty good, flooded potholes and all.