Friday, February 06, 2004

Out of Sync

Here's more T&A news for ya:

***************************
Chasez Slams NFL For Pro Bowl Cancellation '

N Sync's JC Chasez unleashed a scathing indictment of the NFL yesterday (Feb. 5) for yanking him from the Pro Bowl halftime show, then asking him to sing the national anthem instead following the unexpected breast display during the Super Bowl.

"I have had a great relationship with the NFL in the past and feel that I have been mistreated," Chasez said, adding that he won't sing "The Star-Spangled Banner" before Sunday's annual all-star game in Honolulu. The 27-year-old pop star initially was to have performed "Some Girls (Dance With Women)," off his upcoming album, at halftime.

But after the Super Bowl halftime show -- in which Chasez's bandmate, Justin Timberlake, tore off a piece of Janet Jackson's top, exposing her breast -- the NFL re-evaluated Chasez's planned performance.

The singer said in a statement that the NFL expressed concern over some of his lyrics and asked him to change his song choice to "Blowin' Me Up (With Her Love)" off the "Drumline" soundtrack.

That also proved problematic, because the latter song contains the words "horny" and "naughty," which Chasez said he reluctantly agreed to change. He was later removed from the halftime show entirely and replaced by hula dancers, drummers, conch shell blowers and local singers, who were to have been the pre-game entertainment.

NFL spokesperson Brian McCarthy said, "We saw what happened on Sunday, and Monday we took a look at what the performance would have been in terms of the music and dancing. We just felt it was inappropriate as we're being extremely cautious in light of what happened at the Super Bowl."

Chasez said in his statement: "While I agree the mishap at the Super Bowl was a huge mistake, the NFL's shallow effort to portray my music as sexually indecent brings to mind another era when innocent artists were smeared with a broad brush by insecure but powerful people. That's not the America I love. Nor is this the NFL I love. I'll sing the National Anthem anytime, anywhere, but not for this NFL."

He also criticized the league's leadership, saying it had "clearly become so disoriented it has reduced itself to bashing me and my music to divert attention from the fact that the NFL screwed up at the Super Bowl."

McCarthy's response: "We're not going to debate him. We made our decision and we're going to move on." He said it was unclear who would sing the national anthem before the game.
********************************

My two cents? Go JC! I always felt that when a boy band appeared, you need to pick your guy. For whatever reason, I picked JC (maybe because at the time, picking Justin would have made me a pedophile). I don't own any N Sync albums... er...CDs, but I still think it's important to pick your "boy" within a boy band. Kinda like Mac or PC. Anyway, I got turned off when JC started trying to sport the Eddie Vedder look and an encounter with him at a local record store proved he was pretty much an ass, but I've gotta give him props for dissing the NFL like that. Ah, my boy done made me proud!