Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Da Doo Run RUN!

I love to read the trades at work. For those of you who don't live in LA (cuz everyone in LA knows), the "trades" are the industry magazines that come out every morning with the latest news and gossip and loads of advertising pushing some film or actor or something. Incredible amounts of advertising. I find it all very interesting.

One reason why I love to read the trades is because it's kept me up to date on whether I'll still have a job. Hell, Variety had the info about my company being sold before they bothered to tell us! Another reason is because they will sometimes have a little blurb about Shaun Cassidy, my very first teeny bop crush. I crushed hard on Shaun. My room was plastered wall to ceiling with every poster or article I could cut out of my hard-whined for copies of Tiger Beat or Dynamite. (These posters later changed to Rick Springfield, but without as much enthusiasm, only to climax in the obsession that is Duran Duran. Mmmmmm... John Taylor...)

I still have my first three Shaun Cassidy albums, my name and address written on them in crayon. I'll play them in clubs sometimes - people love it. Really!

So Shaun Cassidy is still in the business, but more as a producer and writer. I think he did that "Blood Brothers" thing on Broadway in an actor's capacity, but I love that he was one of the writer/producers of that short lived show "American Gothic" from a few years back about a small town with a sheriff who may or may not have been Satan. He also had something major to do with that cheerleading movie "Bring It On," and who didn't love that? I don't think I know a single straight guy who is into sports who didn't appreciate that movie. My brother in law worked on that flick - it was filmed in my hometown - and he actually got a picture and autograph of Shaun for me. Awww... I have no idea what I saw in him then, but I still love "Hey Deanie."

So here's the latest scoop on my boy... beware!

*******************************************

A Hollywood film studio security guard is recovering from a leg injury caused by a fender bender involving '70s heartthrob Shaun Cassidy. According to a police statement, Cassidy was driving into Warner Bros.' Burbank studio when he accidentally hit a vehicle already waiting at the security gate. Guard Conrad Perez was standing in front of the car that Cassidy hit, and suffered a major contusion when he was trapped between that car and a third vehicle. Cassidy wasn't criminally charged for the accident, which is still being investigated by Burbank police and the California Highway Patrol.

*******************************************

Um... yea... That's another thing I've learned about here in LA. Pedestrians get whacked. Even by a Hardy Boy.