Tuesday, August 23, 2005

She's Gonna Take Me For A Ride

U... Remember my alphabet thing? Okay, we're at U.

Unrest.

STARTED AS A NOISY IMPROV HIGH SCHOOL BAND AND TURNED INTO AN INDIE LEGEND.

Well, that's what it says about them at TeenBeat, the label they are on, which was started by founding member Mark Robinson.

Unrest are Mark Robinson, Phil Karuth, Tim Moran and Bridget Cross. They branched off with Phil's solo work, as well as the Bridget & Kathi project, and also Air Miami - which had a more mainstream MTV type success than Unrest did. But Unrest is awesome.

When I started doing this A-Z thing, I said I'd write about whatever popped into my head, and why. Unrest pops into my head at U because of the song "Make Out Club" from their last album, Perfect Teeth. Now the band had done amazing staccato pop punk funk weirdness for a few years, but this song was so sweet, so unnervingly catchy in that white boy groove sort of way... And lyrically? "
You were the first one, I'll love you someday... you will be the last one, please come back someday... All the time & all the day, into your eyes - deeper the day... Perfect teeth in ninety-four, you kiss me more & I will kiss you..." Dreamy. It has always made me think of my Beatle, my absolute dearest friend in the world, who also happened to be my first boyfriend (for a gazillion years). This agit punk noise pop band from D.C. perfectly captured my romantic youth, in a slightly jarring, but really catchy, tune - and then disbanded.

Viva la Unrest.