Sunday, July 17, 2005

Death to the Pixies

After seeing 6 Pixies shows in a week back in June, I decided that I was through. Did I tell you this? I was done seeing the Pixies. My Deadhead-like Pixies fandom, following them about the state (be it the year 2004 or 1990) was over. Why? Because it was starting to feel dirty to me. At least, last year, they were doing "reunion" shows. I could justify (to myself, anyway) needing to catch them whenever possible, because they were going to disappear again. I had to get as much as possible.

Then they came back onto the tour scene this year. But why? They already did the "reunion" thing, and it wasn't like they were supporting a new album or anything. And that meant money, pure and simple. The whole 2 shows in one night thing? Money. And I was shelling it out. I had a wonderful time, granted, but I had decided. This was it.

A friend said to me, "I don't know, Mo. You seem to really enjoy those shows. Why deny something that makes you happy?" Good point, but I guess maybe I don't want to lose any respect for myself or what I love about the band? I'm not sure. All I know, is that it starts to feel less special the more I'd think about the fact that they are just doing it PURELY for the money.

And then, this news:

PIXIES TO MAKE FIRST ALBUM IN 14 YEARS

Reformed alt-rock legends PIXIES are planning to record their first album in 14 years.

The band'’s frontman Black Francis has confirmed the band, who got back together last year to huge acclaim, are preparing to make their first studio album since 1991'’s "Trompe Le Monde"’.

He told The Sun: "“It's all hugs and kisses, I'm pleased to report."

"We have been discussing recording a new album lately. As happy as we are with the success of the reunion tour, we really want to make a record for the right reasons, whether it is successful commercially or not."

He added: "We would be satisfied if it played like our other records, never chart-topping but always in print."

Since the band got back together they have recorded two songs - "’Bam Thwok" - which was rejected for the ’"Shrek 2"’ soundtrack and then released as a download-only single, and a cover of Warren Zevon'’s "’Ain'’t That Pretty At All"’, which appeared on ’"Enjoy Every Sandwich’," a tribute album to the late singer.


And, in addition to that, Surfer Rosa went gold back in June, with the band receiving their fancy gold albums (which means 500,000 copies sold) at their show in Washington D.C. Very nice indeed.

So I may have to rethink that no-more-Pixies-shows business. But I'll wait for the album and see.