Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Goin' to the Chapel...

"... And thanks to my wonderful husband Mark. Someday soon we can get a legal marriage license and you can make an honest homosexual out of me." -Emmy winner Tony Kushner of "Angels of America" for writing in a miniseries, movie or dramatic special.

Didn't have time to say anything about this when it actually happened, but YES!

Remember when Britney got married for like, 4 minutes, and everyone thought it was so funny? And how J. Lo keeps getting married and how Liz Taylor has been married about a million times and no one seems to mind? It's just more fodder for the tabloids. Well, why can't gay couples do that too? You see, Britney's 30 second nuptials don't exactly shout "preservation of the sanctity of marriage" to me. However, my friend's uncles, together for 38 years or so, have a relationship that I could aspire to.

My parents have been married 37 years. I have very few friends who still have their original set of parents. In the last few years, I've come to realize that I know of quite a few gay couples who have been together over 10 years, some more than 20. And I have a few friends with a gay parent who has been with their partner much, much longer than that.

Anyway, check out Margaret Cho's Marriage Equality website. I used to not be able to stand this chick, but I now realize it's just her comedy routines I don't care for. Her political views are pretty solid though, and she's organized a very resourceful and informational site for those in support of equality on the marriage front.

Because I think anybody should be allowed to get married in Vegas and then have it annulled 55 hours later, godamnit!