Friday, October 22, 2004

Stray Cat Strut

Yesterday, a friend emailed me at work to let me know that Greg Dulli and the Twilight Singers were live on Seattle's KEXP, and that they were doing a cover of Martina Topley-Bird's "Lying."

After their sad, rainy day rendition, Greg mentioned that this song had been left off the domestic release of her album, so you really weren't gonna hear it ever. I was floored. Greg had introduced me to her Quixotic CD last summer, and that song in particular is a stand out - really beautiful stuff. But leave it to the US to fuck things up, right? The domestic version of the album, Anything, has a sexed up cover and a rearranged song list excluding three great tracks. (For those of you in the dark on Martina Topley-Bird, she sang most famously on the Tricky albums, and I'd highly recommend that you pick up the UK edition of her beautifully sexy nighttime music.)

He talked about his friendship with Elliott Smith and baseball, and then the TS crew did a pretty version of My Bloody Valentine's "When You Sleep" seguewaying into "The Rose." (Greg is the master at covering what you didn't think could be covered.) They are playing here in LA next Wednesday the 27th at the lovely El Rey - and Greg knows how to put on a show, believe me. Go.

My friend Scott used to play bass with Greg in the Twilight Singers, and is currently pursuing all sorts of things. (He used to also play with Camp Freddy and Jane's Addiction and other bands I can't even think of now.) He's been doing some kick ass photography, and one of his shots is of Greg with the infamous Clyde - his cat. Clyde is a scraggly black beast who does what he wants when he wants, and likes the ladies. Uh, he's alot like his owner. Greg is actually allergic to cats, but one day Clyde walked into his life, and Greg didn't sneeze, and it's been true love ever since. Least that's what Greg told me.


(Greg and Clyde; photo by Scott Ford @ Mediacandy)

Well, I had a cat that looked almost exactly like Clyde. Her name was Chloe, and she was pretty bad ass. She was a cranky old lady cat by the time she came to my life, with a mysterious past and a torn ear and a freckle in her eye (which I have too). She pretty much always let you know what was up. Very cool cat. You decide if they were seperated at birth:


Chloe. Kick ass.