Thursday, October 14, 2004

She Wore Blue Velvet

I had to go to the dentist today. I have fangs, and they need to be dealt with. It's a long story, and the fangs aren't super obvious, but the goth kids always notice right away. "Heeeeeey, did you get that done? They're cooooooooool..."

My dentist is in Santa Monica. He was a professor once, but now he's just in regular ole private practice in an average office off a main drag in a not so swanky building. My insurance pays him, a friend recommended him. Like most dentists in LA, I'd expect him to have a celeb in his patient list. Maybe two.

My dentist sees the David Lynch posse.

As we were discussing my impending dental work, he asked me if I wanted to change the shape of my fangs. I said no, they weren't causing me any problems and I sort of like them. I've had these slightly funky teeth all my life and it's part of who I am. This led him to tell me a story.

"Oh, yes, I have this patient... she's an actress. Roselli? Do you know? Oh, Isabella Rosellini. I'm bad with her last name."

"Yes, yes, I know who she is."

"Oh, yes, Isabella. David brought her her when they were making Blue Velvet, about 20 years ago, and I still see his cameramen, and sound people, Dennis Hooper - uh - Hopper, yes, all of them. I saw Isabella and I told her, 'I can fix those front teeth' because her front teeth are kind of crooked. But she said no, that she was already a successful model and she liked her crooked teeth. Now everytime I get off the plane in the airport, I see posters of her for that makeup she models - uh - Lancane? Lancome. Yes. I see posters, and there is that tooth, right in my face!"


(Isabella and her teeth.)

Anyway, I had a talk with Kristin Hersh last summer about teeth. She likes to remind her kids of who I am by saying, "You remember Mo... the lady with the cool teeth..." She said that she was always bummed that her parents had made her get her teeth fixed when she was a kid, and she was always jealous about other people with slightly fucked up teeth. Well, I don't have a British smile by anyone's standards, just slightly funky and endearing, I think. So the fangs stay.

Hell, if Isabella can make it glamorous, why can't I?