Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Musical Faves of 2008

Yep. It's that time.

Everyone asks, so I'll answer. I find it impossible to really do a "best of" when that is so subjective, and I can't really narrow it to 2008 because sometimes a record will come out at the end of the previous year that doesn't sink into my brain till later, or I don't have time to absorb something I think I might totally love until the new year (TV on the Radio - I'm lookin' at you). I'll put together the stuff that didn't leave my car stereo this year - and I'll try to keep it to mostly 2008.

One time, a friend of mine said that all music reviews could basically be summarized as thus: "Like the bastard lovechild of (so & so) and (so & so) in (name of place) on (altering substance)." So let's do it.

10. Yelle - Pop Up
"Like the bastard lovechild of Annie and Lily Allen in Paris on lots of bubblegum."
Frenchtronic female with attitude. Definitely yummy.

9. M83 - Saturdays = Youth
"Like the bastard lovechild of Her Space Holiday and Slowdive in the Tunnel of Love on heroin."
Another Frenchie... staring at his lovely shoes, no doubt.

8. Fleet Foxes - s/t
"Like the bastard lovechild of The Hollies and The Mormon Tabernacle Choir in Heaven on frankincense & myrrh."
This album just sweeps me away to another place...

7. Santogold - s/t
"Like the bastard lovechild of The Slits and Siouxsie Sioux in Brooklyn on pop rocks and Coca-Cola."
She vomits gold. 'Nuff said. (Okay, and "Lights Out" was my favorite song of the year.)

6. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
"Like the bastard lovechild of Smog and TV on the Radio in a log cabin on the top of a lonely mountain on every downer imaginable."
The album to lock yourself in a closet to... forever. (Okay, the self release was 2007, but the "formal" release was 2008. So there.)

5. Duffy - Rockferry
"Like the bastard lovechild of Lulu and Scott Walker in Philly on syrup & honey."
The new spirit of Northern Soul... comes from "Welch Idol?" Go figure.

4.DeVotchKa - A Mad & Faithful Telling
"Like the bastard lovechild of Ennio Morricone and Roy Orbison in any swarthy desert land on gypsy voodoo."
Swoon. Every time.

3.Cut Copy - In Ghost Colors
"Like the bastard lovechild of OMD and Daft Punk in the Big Apple on (duh!) ecstasy."
Bouncy, new wavey, electro Aussie fun!

2.Yeasayer -All Hour Cymbals
"Like the bastard lovechild of Prog, Folk, Indie & World music in a communal yurt on serious, serious LSD."
There is no way I can (nor have I been successful yet) at describing this band - but I know I love 'em and can't wait to hear what the hell they do next.

1.The Avett Brothers - Emotionalism / The Second Gleam
"Like the bastard lovechild of the Violent Femmes and Townes Van Zandt in the Appalachians on straight up moonshine and heartbreak."
Pre-civil war punk rock. Grungegrass. Etc... Okay, so Emotionalism came out mid-2007, but I only got it this year. The Second Gleam, however, came out this summer, and has some beauties on it... These boys know how to destroy a stage as well as your heart. Now that Rick Rubin has snapped them up, I hope they can continue to be rowdy little heartbreakers.

And because you kept reading, here's a video by them... This song made me cry the first time I saw it live.



That'll do it for me, friends... Let's all keep on listening, shall we?