Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Don't Call Me Nigger, Whitey

This really happened. Go nuts, everybody. Long live the O.C.
**************************************************

August 29, 2004

Dear Friends:

Greg and I had a most humiliating and frightening experience today. I never believed anything like this could happen in this day and age, let alone in California and at a business place! We had an appointment to meet with the Fleet Manager at McKenna Volkswagen in Huntington Beach at 3:00 pm. Both he and that dealership are exceptionally friendly, competent and ethical. Before going there, Greg wanted to stop at Nissan to test drive the new Altima. Sadly, we had the misfortune to venture into Huntington Beach Nissan on Beach Boulevard.

We were “assigned” a brand new sales representative, a young Asian man of about twenty. From the beginning, we sensed trouble. Despite having Greg’s driver’s license in hand, he kept calling him Kamer, George, and all other names except Greg. Finally Greg told him for the third time that it is Greg. The young man chattered ceaselessly, asking us the same questions over and over again. To make matters worse, he drove us for five or six miles until he would let Greg test drive the car. Once they switched places, Greg discovered that it was the wrong model car. Also, the man could answer none of our questions about the vehicle. Then he kept pressing us about our “relationship” to one another and where our wives were. I told him that we were a couple, a gay couple, whereupon he got just plain goofy, alternating between protestations and giggling.

When we finally got back to the dealership, I went into the office to speak with David Maxwell, the General Sales Manager. I did not mention the rep’s insulting behavior about our being gay: I gave him the benefit of the doubt, assuming it was cultural or age differences that led to that. The only words I said to the manager were: “We drove down here from Long Beach to buy two vehicles; you should reconsider having that man take clients out on test drives.” I told him that none of our questions were answered, that the rep did not know the product and that he took us out in the wrong vehicle. The manager then told me that this was no big deal, give the kid a break and “get over it.” I then told him that he had insulted us, too.

Mr. Maxwell’s reaction? “Nissan doesn't want or need your business”. He then proceeded to swiftly follow me [I felt like I was being physically confronted and chased] out the showroom, where he said: “You fellassssss [with lisp] should go back to Long Beach, you don't belong around here." Then a round of catcalls began—in front of other customers and dealership staff. Greg and I heard things like—“see, they have one of those rainbow emblems on their car” and “looks like two Queers for Kerry!” (By the way, we have no political stickers at all on our vehicles.) Several employees followed their manager’s lead. Customers were either laughing or embarrassed and we were just humiliated an appalled.

I want to ask each and every one of you to suggest ways in which we might address this situation. If you know anyone in any position of influence in government, auto dealerships, business bureaus, media, whatever, please please help us. I cannot tell you what this felt like for us. I never knew one could feel so horrible. I know the old “sticks and stones” thing, but this was just awful. In public, in the business place, in front of customers and employees, this man stole our dignity and held us up to scorn in a way I can't imagine. …and he laughed at us through the whole ordeal, challenging us to “do something about it.” Please email this to your networks and help us to at least get an apology from this man.

Most sincerely,

Dave Russo
Greg Kamerer
Long Beach, CA

*If you want to get in touch with these guys, let me know.

No haters need apply.