Monday, October 22, 2007

Babylon's Burning

I grew up in San Diego, which is pretty much totally on fire right now.

Some of my friend's families have been evacuated, but considering that a quarter of a million people have been evacuated in San Diego County, that isn't so surprising. The mayor told folks not to go to work today and even asked people not to use their cell phones so as to leave valuable carrier space available.



















My family is good right now; they live close to the coast and should be ok. My dad sent the above image (he's a science teacher) so we could get a grasp on it. Here in Silverlake, we're just getting the haze from the Malibu fires. But my friend's dad, also on the coast, took a picture of the sun, so you can get an idea of what the air quality is like at the beach in Encinitas today...












Get your oxygen masks, everyone, it's gonna be a long one...