Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Two Thousand Jive Wrap Up

Well, I know that the year isn't quite yet over, and I'm about to embark on a last quickie journey of the year to my former home, my home away from home, Berkeley. I'll be there for about a week, and I know it'll be a blast.

However, I'm wrapping things up now. Memory wise. The good stuff from this year. My top ten, as it were... Top Ten Moments of 2005.

10. DJing at Radio in Oakland back in June. I was getting over a cold (which later developed into something else because I wouldn't give myself time to breathe) but I flew up to Oakland anyway, put on the knee high black leather boots, and DJed the night away with Mr. Joe Quixx. Friends came, people danced, the bar rocked and rolled. A good time was had by all, especially me!

9. The VIP Lounge at 8MM, Berlin. I was drunk. Like really drunk. My friend took me back to 8MM, where we had been the night before. This is the bar where the hip band kids DJ after they play Berlin (the only guy I can remember is Carlos D of Interpol). We were drinking with a couple of Australians and I got up to use the bathroom. On my way out, I was grabbed by a guy named Constantine. He took me into the back room, and swore me to secrecy about going back there. Turns out a couple people were playing pool on the secret pool table. I met the folks back there, pretended like I could play pool for a minute, and then went back to the bar because I felt bad for abandoning my friends. I immediately told them about the secret room, and later saw one of my billiard buddies, who also happened to be a hip young German film star. But I don't remember her name.

8. The last 10 minutes of the series finale of Six Feet Under. One of the best television shows EVER. Gorgeous piece; I can't hear that Sia song without crying. After I watched it, I wanted to call the guy I was dating and say, "Let's just run off and LIVE! LIVE LIFE!" I didn't.

7. Sharon Jones live at Sunset Junction with my friend Iiad. We had margaritas at my house, walked down to the street and danced our skinny white asses off to the hardest working woman in show business, Miss Sharon Jones. She royally shook our groove thangs.

6. The first DJ gig at the Short Stop. It reminded me of what I love about DJing for people: having fun, dancing to just about anything and being happy and excited about it, and good vibes. Oh yea, and lots of free drinks and cute boys. For me to play with.

5. RIP RFTC. The final Rocket from the Crypt show ever, on Halloween night, in San Diego.One of the best shows I've ever seen in my life, hands down. I still haven't written about it, because it was too awesome for words. It was sweaty, loud, crazy, sweaty, rockin', out of control, tight, and sweaty. I think I lost 5 pounds in 2 hours. And boy, was my hair frizzy.



4. Dating an awesome guy. For the first time in a gazillion years, I let myself date someone who was quality. Really wonderful, sweet, and goofy. An all around good person and human being.

3. Dumping the awesome guy. Why? Because I recognized that he didn't have the time for me that I needed, so rather than settle for what I could get, I said, "Let's just be friends." And it was the right thing to do, and has worked out swell.

2. Accidentally meeting an old friend on a random flight home. When I flew back from Berlin this fall, I had to connect to my LA flight in New Jersey. As I stood staring at the display screen showing me my flight information, a man walked beside me to check out the same screen. It was someone I'd known for a few years, who had been in and out of my life for various reasons. He was flying back from Italy where he had been touring. He saw me, I saw him, we laughed and reconnected (literally - on the same plane). We both realized that life kept throwing us in the same place, so we'd better just kiss & make up and stay friends. And it's been golden ever since.

1. Buzzily riding bikes around a couple of lakes in Berlin, at night, with one of my closest friends in the whole world. It was kinda scary and pretty neat, and certainly not something I'm ever going to get to do in LA.



Goodbye, Two Thousand Jive. Welcome, Two Thousand Sexy!