Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Always a Bridesmaid... Thank God!

This post is brought to you by my friends at So Says I and "Sex & the City."

I don't plan on getting married. I have plenty of fun as a single gal and have become far too selfish to get involved with anyone on that intimate a level. Don't get me wrong, I'm a really nice person, I just don't want to compromise with a "partner" anymore. I've always traveled alone because I don't want to bother with someone else's itinerary... I don't even like shopping with other people. So just imagine what a joy I would be to live with (and I'm a neat freak too).

A LOT of my friends are married, though, and having kids and everything. That's what you're supposed to be doing when you're in your thirties, right? Well, I don't want to. And there are plenty of other ladies who are just going ahead with their lives and not waiting for their frog prince to come. 57% of us own our own homes! (I am not one of them, though.)

I'm gonna be the old lady on the corner, cats swarming around my ankles, yelling at the neighborhood kids: "Get off my lawn!" Alright.

I'm going to another wedding this weekend. Good times, good times. I need a new dress, though, and new shoes. I literally have no nice clothing left for a wedding of this caliber. Then there's buying the present. Ugh! I love my friends, but if I start to look back on all the weddings and wedding showers and babies and baby showers, I've racked up quite a lot on gifts. And since I don't plan on having kids or getting married myself, it seems that I'm missing out on the presents! Man! The single gal gets screwed again. Ahem.

Which brings me back to So Says I and "Sex & the City." Check out this entry for Wednesday, January 21st. And the particular "Sex" episode I'm thinking of deals with exactly this issue. Carrie - having had a $400 pair of shoes stolen at a shower after she was forced to take them off - "registers" for a new pair via a marriage to herself. So I'm trying to figure out what I can do in the future in order to collect all sorts of goodies from my loving pals in exchange for doing something society considers momentous. When I buy a house, maybe? Thing is, I've lived on my own for a really long time and I don't really need much for the home. Damn!

Well, don't worry. I'll think of something.