Monday, September 18, 2006

Sweet Mary Jane

2 weekends ago, after I got back from a horrid trip to Dallas (it wasn't totally Dallas' fault), I went to see an awesome show. Neko Case (swoon!), Ryan Adams (double swoon!) and Willie Nelson (whoa nelly!). It was at the Hollywood Bowl, a swanky outdoor affair in the hills.

Neko Case was amazing. I went by myself, and was sitting in a pack of older folks. Like their late 50's, early 60's. They had no clue who Neko Case was. One fellow said to me, "You like her?" "Oh," I replied, "I LOVE her." "Well, she's different." I never get that. She's about as country as country gets to me, except for the fact that she also kinda sounds like a soul singer. I suppose that's different. By the end of her set, my benchmates were won over, and busted out the pot brownies.

Good thing they did, because as soon as she ended, the stage rotated around to present a totally yoked out Ryan Adams (in hip worn thin Batman tee) and his band. They immediately kicked into "Cold Roses" and then pretty much did songs just like it for the next hour. He was doing his best Neil Young/ Grateful Dead possible. You know, the first time I went to a Dead show, I fell asleep. The second time, I was smarter about it and took shrooms. There was no such relief this evening... I even got bored thinking about how hot Mr. Adams looked. (Has he been doing yoga for like, 8 hours a day or something? Wow.) Anyway, he broke it up a little with an injection of "Shakedown on 9th Street," which made me realized how sleepy I'd gotten. I guess I should just be glad he showed up and played anything, right?

And then, Mr. Willie Nelson.

Honestly, I couldn't tell you what he did because I was on a contact high. I remember "Always On My Mind," "On the Road Again," "Whiskey River," "Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys," "Me & Paul," and "Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground" (LOVE that one!). I remember he let his sister Bobbie do a piano jam, and he let his mega hot sons do a rippin' blues number. And Willie's pants were pulled up to his nipples and his bandana kept the braids in check. That band was having a good ole time, for sure.

How good a time they were having was verified by the police today, as Willie and his band got busted for pot and 'shrooms on the bus. I just love that a 73 year old got nailed with 1 1/2 pounds of pot, AND 'shrooms! Of course, the whole band claimed the drugs, so everyone got a misdemeanor.

And after the cops left, they had to figure out where to score more weed. Dude!